Monday, June 24, 2013

Scary May

It has been far too long since my last post.  So much has taken place that I don't even know where to start.  CrAzY sCaRy ~ Yes, let's start there.  The month of MAY was beyond stressful & even terrifying!  Maybe this will bring you up to speed because there just aren't words for what happened where I live..... 

Moore Medical Center

Middle of the street, van on top of what's left of another car.

Moore Medical Center

6th & Telephone Road



This is a housing addition just in behind Plaza Towers Elem.


 
 

Behind the Warren Theater

Front of the Warren
 


 
This is what devastation and destruction looks like. 
 
On May 20, 2013 a EF-5 tornado went on a path of destruction starting in Newcastle, OK through Moore and South Oklahoma City.  It scarred landscape and took 24 lives.  After coming out of underground shelter with my family & neighbors, all I could think of is THANK YOU GOD my immediate family is safe and my home is still standing.  Now what about my friends and other family??  Cell phones were pretty much NOT working.  No power or running water for all of the areas mentioned.  It was like a war zone.  Memories came flooding back of the May 3, 1999 tornado.  To add to it on May 31st yet another tornado hit South OKC and tried to head into north sides of Moore.  THAT WOULD BE US!  This tornado was lining up and headed away from our direction until the last minute it turned SOUTH!  We were underground for this tornado as well.  Longer than the May 20th.  I had my immediate family all with me and 21 of our neighbors.  For some reason I was more terrified of this one.  Our reception was terrible and getting mixed messages from loved ones via text.  Most of us lost signals from newsfeeds so text is ALL we had to reply on.  I'll be 100% honest with you, my main concern was my family was with me.  I at least had that on my side and whatever was going to happen, would happen to us together.  When we finally were able to get out of shelter, it was a downfall of rain like I have never seen in my life.  Looked like a hurricane.  Never been in one personally, but it was the best way to describe what I saw.  I really thought we would be without a home.  Once again we were spared, THANK YOU JESUS.  We went without power for a few days and that was about it for us. 
 
What I don't think people understand is your home does not have to be leveled for you to not be impacted in more ways than one.  All you had to do was take a look around and see so much loss of your everyday.  My community will no longer be as it was.  Something as simple as going to the post office, dropping your child off at school, going to the doctor's office, nail salon etc. is no longer standing.  Our day-to-day has changed in several respects.  Doors will re-open and WE WILL REBUILD.  Moore, OK is a strong community.  I am proud and happy to still call Moore home.  I look forward to seeing people pick up the pieces and build stronger than ever.  I keep my faith and trust in the Lord.
 
 
 
 
 I wanted to share a picture that one of my friend's shared with me.  She was cleaning at her home (un-livable) a couple days after the storm and she found this picture in her shrubs.  Even with all the devastation you could see God all around us.  SO MUCH TO BE THANKFUL FOR!
 
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment