Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A Birthday & 37 RAK's

I've been a little excited about my Birthday this year.  Not because I was turning one year older but because I saw a post at the beginning of the week about a lady who did something very different for her birthday.  She decided she would do a random act of kindness for each year of her age. 
So, I thought I can do that!!!  I wanted to feel good about doing something random or unexpected for people.  It took me a few days to accomplish my 37 RAK's but it was worth it.  The feeling you get just from putting a smile on a persons face can change you.  If anything my hopes for posting this is, maybe you can try this for your birthday or something for each day of a specific month or just something you incorporated once or twice a month year round.  After accomplishing this, it honestly makes you think differently.  You catch yourself wanting to do more for people/strangers.  It doesn't always have to be about money.  A simple smile and holding a door open, helping someone load their groceries or being a courteous driver.  You have no idea what a person is going through and how your simple act can change their mood or make their day!

Did you know there is an actual Random Act of Kindness Day?  I found out it is celebrated on February 17th here in the United States. I don't think it matters what day as long as you DO IT.  A little nudge in the right direction for all of us!  In this troubled world, no act of kindness is too small to preform ~ Michael P Watson

 
Here is my list for this year followed by a pic or two of the acts:
 
1.  Deliver homemade chicken noodle soup to a friend (Diana H).
 
2.  Buy Starbucks for the person behind me.
 
3.  Give boxtops for education to a teacher for their classroom (Tissa K). 
 
4.  Gave a small gift to my mother for hosting my birthday family party.
 
5.  Gave a frame and card to my son for his new house. 
BONUS he got a picture of me and his brother too.

6. - 10.  Delivered wrapped ornaments to friends with a note attached (Danielle R, Lori W, Christina W, Lorri C & Anitra J)
 
11.  Cameron took part with this RAK.  Delivered a get well card, candy & coke to a friend that was injured at basketball practice and had to have surgery.
 
12.  Donate clothing
 
13.  Give a coke and a note to a stranger.  I loved this one. 
It was a dancing flower to promote a local florist.
 
14. - 15.  Give a donation to The Salvation Army then give a coke and note to the
volunteer bell ringer at JCP & Hobby Lobby.
 
16.  Leave a cross and a note to a neighbor that I have hardly ever talked to.
 
17. - 18.  Delivered cookies & candy to my cousin's fire station in Midwest City.
Delivered cookies & candy to family/friends at King Valve in Del City.
 
19.  Buy a toy for a child and donate it at church for the toy drive.
 
20.  Delivered a frame to a friend I don't get to see as often as I'd like.
 
21.  Paid for a high school kids food as he was standing in line behind me.
 
22. - 24.  Gave out 3 cute coffee mugs with a note (lady working the window at post office, receptionist at City of Moore utilities office & neighbor I've never met).
 
25.  Handed a box of 10 snickers to a road construction crew near my home.
 
26.  Gave a mug and handmade sterling silver earring to a friend (Allison R).
 
27.  Made a donation to feed people this Christmas through Salvation Army.
 
28.  Donated more clothing/coats to OKC Jesus House.
 
29.  Gave a pair of sterling silver earring and a note to a friend (Vanessa J)

30.  Left a note and baggie of goodies for my mail carrier.
 
31. Wrote a thank-you note to a mentor who has influenced me.  
 
32.  Taped change on a vending machine to buy the next person a drink.
 
33. - 37.  Mailed out Christmas cards to A Recovering American Soldier. 
Thank you to Diana H for sharing this information with me.  If you'd
like to do the same thing this year here are the mailing details.
A Recovering American Soldier
c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center
6900 Georgia Avenue
NW Washington, DC  20307-5001
 

 
 
 
 






1 comment:

  1. That is awesome! I love some of the ideas you came up with. :) I really like the mugs you handed out.

    ReplyDelete