Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Savin' the Lincolns


I saw a blog post this morning about a simple little savings plan.  This lady started in January of last year and saved over $350 dollars without really trying.  She said every time she had a $5 bill she would stash it in an envelope.  Can it be any simpler than that?  How many times do you go grab your kids food and pay with a $20 bill and get change back?  Almost every single time, right?  (Poor example since this month we are not doing fast food, due to fasting)  Why not take that $5 bill and save it???  You would more than likely spend it on something not needed in all reality.  I already thought wait....there is a flaw in this or it's not going to have the same outcome for me.  I use my debit card more often than not.  It comes right out of my bank account and it's rare for me to walk around with cash.  I guess we shall see.  I'm up for it and it sounds super simple.  I am going to consider it a little gift to my family at the end of the year.  If anything it could be spending money for a trip we take together or go towards a major appliance or improvement in our home.  Something the whole family can enjoy :) ~ knowing me if I save more than I plan it will go into a CD or high yield savings account.  Keep on saving folks!  I'd love to hear your suggestions or stories of savings plans.

I think I will go break a $20 today and ask for only $5 bills.  Since it's late in January I need to start somewhere...... 

It's none of my business if you have a savings account but I can say this without hesitation.  I enjoy and appreciate saving money now.  I feel a sense of accomplishment!!  As soon as we are paid we tithe and then deposit a set amount into savings.  I just feel strongly that if I want to help myself in the future I have to plan for it now.  I doubt there will be much available to us at retirement age.  Meaning programs (social security), etc.  It's up to us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment